Glenn Badham — Artist
LOVE AND CURIOSITY
One of the most remarkable qualities of Glenn Badham’s work is its sincerity. His work maintains an admirable directness regarding feeling and intention.
By using a synthetic palette, Badham creates bright, bold visions of the world around him. He makes pen and ink sketches and mixed media drawings, which later evolve into oil paintings. His work celebrates the colour and wonder around us and how we --human beings-- interact and fit within the natural world.
Being a Ballroom dancer since childhood has been a significant influence on his work. Rhythm and repetition are his permanent attraction points, while he has a very distinctive way of capturing the human body and movement. His artistic practice, including rapid sketches developed to larger paintings, has allowed him to get inspired from and work in unique environments such as dance halls, theatre stages, ballrooms, or Jazz Clubs. The moving body in all these works has an astonishing vibration, achieved through skilful expressionistic games between light and shadow.
His artistic genealogy in approaching nature counts from 18th-century British landscape painting, up to now. His trees’ foliages are in a sensitive dialogue with John Constable’s naturalism and his rolling form of clouds own a glimpse of William Turner’s skies. At the same time, his colourful, picturesque syntheses keep a quality reminding of recent David Hockney’s multicoloured and playful contemplations on landscapes. Deeply inspired by British painting tradition, National Heritage and history, Badham desires to bring back a romantic view of wildlife and countryside. His artistic vision is focused on re-establishing a new relationship between man and nature, based on awe, wonder and respect, that are so indispensable today. In his imagery, the natural world becomes a magical place, full of possibilities, where multiple human interactions are studied and represented with curiosity and love.
Gelly Gryntaki The Art Newspaper/Smart Artist Hub, London 2021
- Parker Harris Figurative Art Now selection 2021.
- Mall Galleries Pastel Society selection for the real-world exhibition in London July 2021.
- Royal Birmingham Society of Artists Friends Open exhibition selection 2021.
- Mall Galleries Society of Graphic Fine Art Open exhibition 2021
- Laura I. Gallery - ARTSY online exhibition `Hallowed Landscapes, an Epoch of Colour` May 2021.
- Parker Harris Royal Cambrian Academy Open exhibition selection 2021.
- Mall Galleries, Pastel Society Open exhibition selection 2020.
- ARTSY online exhibition `Art and Identity` Dec 2020 - Jan 2021.
- Laura I.Gallery, London representation.
- Rugby Open Selection 2020.
- October 30th to November 5 2020 "OUR ENGLISH COAST", 1st floor Gallery at Rugby Museum and Art Gallery.
- Ty Pawb, Open submission competition selection. `Rockpooling` selected to be part of the real world exhibition in Wrexham, Wales.
- August 15 to September 26 - 5th 2020 solo show - "OUR ENGLISH COAST". 78 Derngate, Northampton (The Charles Rennie Mackintosh House).
- 2020 Sky Landscape Artist of the Year selection. Wildcard.
One Man Exhibitions
- 2020 August - `OUR ENGLISH COAST` 78 Derngate, Northampton and October/November - Rugby Art Gallery and Museum
- 2011 October - 'A MOMENT IN TIME' NumberNineTheGallery, Birmingham. 6 pieces purchased by Palace of Westminster permanent collection and archive.
- 2008 August - 'FROM CUBA WITH LOVE' NumberNineTheGallery, Birmingham
- 2006 'RITES AND RIOTS' NumberNineTheGallery, Birmingham
- 2004 February - 'DRAMA' NumberNineTheGallery, Birmingham
- Saffron Waldon Gallery
- Hunter Art Gallery, Bury St Edmunds
- Rowles Fine Art, Ludlow
- Green Stage Gallery, Worcester
- RBSA Birmingham
- Mall Galleries, London
- Laura I. Gallery, London
- Royal Cambrian Academy, Conway, Wales
- Contemporary 6, Manchester
- Gallery 54 London
- NumberNineThe Gallery, Birmingham
Commissions and Purchasers
- St. Astor Hotel New York.
- Palace of Westminster Permanent Collection, London
- Dorchester Hotel, London.
- Sherlock Holmes Hotel London.
- Park Lane Hotel London.
- Crystal Serenity Cruise Liner
- Twickenham Marriot Hotel, London
Odeon entertainment and the management team of the World Superbike Champion, James Toseland selected me to paint his official portrait for a limited edition print run of 395 'Brands Hatch Double'.
Chosen by 'The Metro' magazine to paint the winning prize portrait for a competition open to the public. Sponsored by Gallo winemakers the painting was given widespread media coverage and was granted its own space at that years Affordable Art Fair in Battersea London.
- New York Affordable Art Fair, USA
- Grand Designs, Excel, London
- Affordable Art Fair, London
- Christies Auction House, London
- On The Wall, Olympia, London
- Edinburgh Art Fair
- Cambridge Art Fair.
At the Beginning
Arts Fest in Birmingham, Beckenham Arts Centre, Kent, Tri-National Arts Project, Galerie Des Confluences, Paris,Tri-National ArtsProject, Galerie im Theatre, Lingen Germany, New Works, Leicester, Tri-National Arts Project, Custard Factory, Birmingham, Brewhouse Arts Centre, Burton on Trent, Degree Show, DeMontfort University, Leicester.